- How does this integration work?
- Envoy + Google Hangouts FAQ
- Enabling the Envoy + Google Hangouts Chat integration
How does this integration work?
Envoy will automatically send a Google Hangouts Chat message to a pre-specified Room with visitor information upon the visitors arrival.
Envoy + Google Hangouts FAQ
Q: What are the prerequisites for Google Hangouts Chat?
A: You need a G Suite account to access Hangouts Chat.
Q: Can the Envoy Bot send a direct message in Hangouts Chat?
A: The G Suite API does not support direct messages for bots.
Enabling the Envoy + Google Hangouts Chat integration
- Go to Integrations > All integrations.
- Under host notifications, find Google Hangouts Chat. Click “Configure.”
- Authenticate with Google. If you are not currently logged into Hangouts Chat, you will be prompted to do so.
- To access Google Hangouts Chat go to https://chat.google.com.
- Copy the connection command from Envoy that resembles:
6. In order to connect, select the Room in which you would like the bot to post host notifications, then type in @Envoy to select the Envoy Bot and then paste the connection command to initiate the setup. Hint: Consider creating a Room called “Visitors” in Hangouts Chat if you do not want to add the bot to another channel.
7. Back in the Envoy Dashboard dashboard, you’ll see that the integration has been enabled after refreshing the page. Click “Complete Setup” button to save your changes.
8. To receive notifications from the Envoy bot, an employee must be listed with the same email address both in your employee directory and in Google Hangouts Chat.
9. We recommend testing new features before engaging your whole team. On the Envoy Visitors app, sign yourself in as a test visitor, select yourself as the host, and review the notification you get from the Envoy bot.