How does this integration work?
Envoy will automatically send a Google Chat message to a pre-specified Room with visitor information upon the visitors arrival.
Envoy + Google FAQ
Q: What are the prerequisites for Google Chat?
A: You need a G Suite account to access Chat.
Q: Can the Envoy Bot send a direct message in Chat?
A: The G Suite API does not support direct messages for bots. This means the bot must be added to a Google Room.
Enabling the Envoy + Google Chat integration
- Go to Integrations > All integrations.
- Under host notifications, find Google Chat. Click “Configure.”
- Authenticate with Google. If you are not currently logged into Chat, you will be prompted to do so.
4. To access Google Chat go to https://chat.google.com.
5. Copy the connection command from Envoy that resembles:
6. In order to connect, select the Room in which you would like the bot to post host notifications, then type in @Envoy to select the Envoy Bot and then paste the connection command to initiate the setup.
Tip: Consider creating a Room called “Visitors” in Chat if you do not want to add the bot to another channel.
7. Back in the Envoy Dashboard dashboard, you’ll see that the integration has been enabled after refreshing the page.
8. After you have successfully connected the Bot within Chat, return to the integrations page of Envoy and click “Complete Setup” to activate the integration.
9. To receive notifications from the Envoy bot, an employee must be listed with the same email address both in your employee directory and in Google Chat.
10. We recommend testing new features before engaging your whole team. On the Envoy Visitors app, sign yourself in as a test visitor, select yourself as the host, and review the notification you get from the Envoy bot.
You can also verify that the notification went through by checking the entry on the dashboard.