How recording deliveries works
Whether you’re using a digital or manual system, the first step in delivery management is creating a record of every delivery that arrives—including important information like recipient name, arrival time and carrier.
With Deliveries, the process of recording new deliveries is easy. It’s all done from the Envoy Deliveries mobile app, which is available in the App Store for iOS devices and Google Play Store for Android devices.
If you don’t want to use the app on your phone, you can designate an iPad touch or Android device for logging deliveries. Keep it in your delivery area for easy access!
From the Envoy Deliveries mobile app, you’ll snap a photo of each shipping label. You can record as many deliveries as you like, one right after the other. In the background Envoy uses optical character recognition (OCR) to “read” the shipping label. Then, it records the delivery in your delivery log.
If for any reason you prefer not to record deliveries by taking a photo, you can also manually add deliveries by typing the recipient’s name and delivery carrier.
Benefits of recording deliveries
- Recording delivery by photo saves you the time it takes to write or type out the information.
- Deliveries are recorded digitally, so everything is easily searchable.
- No barcode scanners or other special equipment required.
How Deliveries identifies the recipient
Envoy Deliveries identifies delivery recipients and notifies them automatically—all when you take a photo. But how does this work?
The basis of this process is optical character recognition (OCR) technology. OCR analyzes images (like photos or scanned documents), and “looks” for shapes that resemble letters and numbers. When a character is recognized, it’s recorded digitally.
With Envoy Deliveries, the recipient recognition process has three main steps:
- You take a clear photo of the shipping label.
- Your photo gets uploaded to an image transcriber. This image transcriber provides a digital transcription of the shipping label.
- Our system looks for matches between that digital transcription and employees listed in your directory.
You can record deliveries for any employee in your company, at any delivery area. When you snap the photo, Envoy Deliveries compares the name it “reads” on the shipping labels with names in the directory for each location.